Monday, May 14, 2012

If only I could have told myself...


I had the same dream again last night as I did the night before. The dream-fairy has been working over-time on me lately. Which I find odd, because I usually don't sleep well enough to dream. When I do dream its usually, a much more violent-type nightmare that I don't remember, causing me to wake-up in a cold, wet, pillow-soaked puddle.

This dream was more peaceful and again I find it odd because its not the "normal" for me. Having the same dream over again and actually remembering it is very fascinating to me. Last night's dream was just a little more clearer the second time than what I remember from the first. I actually found myself wanting to go back to sleep and replaying it, to see what else comes to light.


The location was "someplace", USA. I don't know where this place was but it was a very rural-isolated location. It was warm, not hot, just comfortably-pleasant. The sun was out and there were lots of green trees all around, small patches of grass that looked freshly mowed and well maintained. There was no one else in my dream, it was just me and I was content with that.
In this dream, I could see myself, as myself, as I am today. A fat middle-aged man driving down a countryside back-road. The car or maybe it was a small light-weight pickup truck; I'm not sure if it was a car or truck, but it was white and clean. I was driving with both the drivers window and passenger window open and there was absolutely no wind noise as I drove. I don't know where I was heading or for how long, it was just a feeling that I had to keeping going forward.

Ahead in the distance, I could see up-coming railroad tracks and a right-handed bend in the road. In the meander of the turn, off to right, was a very old-looking deteriorated wooded shed. Maybe a train station at one time but long since made useless.

As I slowed down to cross-over the railroad tracks, I saw a young man standing tall, waiting near this rotted shed. I came to a complete stop to look at this person. He was young and in good shape, he was wearing his navy dress uniform (I don't remember if he was wearing his white or service dress blues). He was just standing there, determined to wait, STANDING! not at attention but not relaxed either. just-waiting, as if something was going to happen at any moment. In the background, just over-the-head of where he was standing, hanging on the old building was a sign that read "Wait Here" or "Waiting Station" (I'm not sure which but I think you get the point).

I could see a medal pinned to his chest and I could read something attached to his uniform sleeve, it read USS STARK (FFG-31). Seeing his unit patch made me very interested in this person. I didn't feel scared but somewhat in-reserves of approaching him. Did I know him? Who was he? What was he doing out here in nowhere all alone? I think what I wanted to know the most was What was he waiting for!

Old me decides to walk-up and ask this young sailor "What are you waiting for" The young man replied, "I'm waiting for the USS STARK". That's when I realized I was talking to myself and woke-up.

Tomorrow, I leave for Florida and I'm feeling anxious and nervous about the STARK memorial reunion. I think I need to just keeping going forward.

5 comments:

  1. "No words of ours can pay them the full tribute that is their due. Their service, sacrifice, and love of country crown their memory on this day of grief and will do so as long as there is an America that defends freedom and honors its heroic champions," Ronald Reagan

    I always get melancholic this time of year remembering our brothers who gave all. They will never be Forgotten...

    but by the grace of god i could've been there. May we all find our peace someday.



    FCC(SW)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brought tears. You are a gifted writer, I am always checking this site. I wish you peace. Should let you know my thoughts are with everyone in Mayport today. I knew Steve Erwin, and there is still pain - always will be. They call it "closure," when working through grief, but the door is always open; we can't forget, and we should not be expected to do so. My Uncle is a retired chief and will probably attend the service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, The Waz! What an excellent writer you are. I do hope that putting your thoughts on "paper" helps with healing. Also, that the ongoing Stark 25th anniversary memorial service and other activities will contribute to the healing of emotional wounds for you and some other sailors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rest in Peace shipmates. Hard to believe my friend and brother Chief Vernon Foster has been gone 25 years. I may not think of you and all the fallen crew of STARK every day, but when I do remember - I do pray for the families.

    YNC(SW) Steve Miciak, USN(Ret.)
    Tampa, FL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark - very moving. The WAZ. You should write. I'm an English teacher, I know talent when I see it!

    ReplyDelete