Sunday, May 27, 2012

ONE down and THIRTY-SIX (or more) to go


Darla and I paying our respects to Bill Hansen, Revere, MA. May 27, 2012

I made it through my trip to the USS STARK memorial. It was filled with all kinds of emotions. Best of all it was great to see some of my STARK mates from 25 years past. I have put some of my reunion pictures up on my Facebook page InWazWeTrust.

After following in the wake of the USS STARK's 25th Memorial Dinner and Ceremony held at Ocean Breeze on Mayport Naval Station, Florida on May 16, 2012. I now have (for the first time) a bucket-list (life-goal) to accomplish. 

I want to find and visit the hometown sites that have made memorial's to my STARK brothers that were
Killed in Action.











This Memorial Day Weekend I visited the street named after Bill Hansen in Revere, MA. Many thanks to Robert Hansen for feeding me that information through Facebook.

While I was there, I spoke with a gentleman that was walking his dog and he remembered the Hansen family. He also thought there use to be a sign posted next to the street sign honoring Bill. I looked high and low and it sadden me that I could not find a memorial plaque for him. 
I will remember you!












FC3 Bill Hansen (playing white guitar), KIA on May 17, 1987. The USS STARK band, Poison Squirrels from Hell.











I have completed 1 of 37, so please help me complete my goal. If you know of any USS STARK memorial sites across this country please forward that information to me. I will combined a list of them.

7 comments:

  1. We don't have one in California for James Stevens at this point. I did talk to the Avenue of the Flags veterans committee on Memorial day and hope that we can get one.

    We do have a wonderful memorial service and they fly Jimmy's flag each year.

    I wrote about Jimmy this memorial day and hope you will read it. I am hoping to attend Mayport next year.

    http://www.julesmpg.com/2012/05/true-memorial-day-tradition.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was friends with Bill while we both attended CIWS C school at Great Lakes. He was a really great guy who I still think of and miss after all these years. Rest in peace my friend and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug,

    Thank you for your comment, thoughts and remembrance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill and I were on the SSC/NTC Great Lakes Drill Team together. I agree with Doug, above. Bill was a great guy. At the time, the Hansen's had a baby and we saw them at parades we marched in. I think of Bill and all those lost every memorial day. Thank you for posting this memorial. I was looking for a picture of Bill I could post to my Veterans org at my college. I appreciated the picture of him playing in the Poison Squirrels from Hell. I can see him contributing to that name as I type this. I did read a couple hears ago that Bill's wife created a scholarship or some Non-profit fund in Bill's name.

    I am sorry that I do not know of other memorials for the other 36. I did come across this online site and it may help. https://stationhypo.com/?s=USS+Stark

    Miss you Buddy Bill.
    FC3 (SW) Ranger

    ReplyDelete
  5. FC3,

    Thank you for your words. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mark, Helping with your bucket list... Wayne Richard Weaver II Memorial Bridge. Clarion, PA; Route 1005; 41.225229' / -79.389469'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have that one on my list of sites to go, thanks

      Delete